Invitation development and wording

Just a couple more images:

A simple way to get some colorful artwork onto a card: grid filled in with different mixed colors of acrylic paint (mer mag)

"Los Angeles" invitation suite by KenzieKate (via Oh So Beautiful Paper, of course)

love this design, enough to even actually try to look what the cost would be to just pick this and get the invitations done. It's the colors, the graphic chevron stripes (I'm not sure whether this trend is just starting up or if it's already fading away, but I don't care), the handwriting font, and the clever placement of red text for emphasis. I appreciate that this business' website gives you a price calculator, but $1250 (about 50% of our venue cost) for invitations that I hope will at least be recycled just isn't going to happen here.

I came across this in my email the other day and realized I'd forgotten to share this poster Amy (she of the save-the-date design) one day when she was "goofing off." I don't know about you, but when I goof off, I generally don't end up with anything out of it, much less an adorable design of some sort:

Does the state of NJ look like a seahorse shape to anyone else?

Lately to try to make my weekday evenings a bit more productive, I try to set myself just one goal for the night, with my laptop down at 10pm to help me get to bed earlier. A couple weeks ago, I set myself the goal of going through my archives of invitation designs I've really liked to try to categorize the different aspects of what I'd like to have. They include:
  • Stitching details: fabric overlay with words printed onto fabric, stitch into paper directly, stitch two layers of paper together, broken line border, fabric envelope
  • Type as graphic design: modern and bold plus handwriting detail
  • Typewriter: as font, on vellum paper
  • Circles
  • Kraft paper: contrasting the rougher brown texture with something dainty, like a lace doily
  • Illustrations/line drawings
  • Papercuts
  • Other little details: rounded corners, colors in general, fabric tape, pennant stamp, letterpressed text
  • Envelopes: templates, Google Maps
Which is a lot to be going on with (I won't do everything all at once), but I'm hoping to get more traction here by giving myself clear next steps for what to research and test. I want to have the invitation ready to be mailed out in mid-April, which gives me about a month to get them all done.

I also need to figure out the wording on the invitation, of course. Robin's post on trying to do so is very funny. I think we're going to go with the suggestions we've received about just saying something like "Join us for hors d'oeuvres, drinks, and pies galore" rather than including the full menu and then posting the full menu to the wedding website. 

The trickier item item of invitation wording is going to be designating the dress code, I think. Amid Privilege posted her mother's advice for wedding invitation dress codes, which includes not saying what's not allowed and recommends using standard dress code wording if possible (Cocktail, not Semi-Formal), leaving it up to guests to figure out the rest given the style of the invitation, what they know of the couple, and the time and location of the wedding. I probably might give more examples in the FAQ of the wedding website for those that want more guidance. Handwringing over what's appropriate to wear to a certain event and fears about being over- or under-dressed waste enough of everyone's energy everywhere else already.

2 comments:

Ms. Bunny said...

Narrowing down what you want your invite to look like is tough. I totally understand. I had so many variations of designs that it seemed like a daunting challenge to pick something. In the end, modern font was the most reoccuring trend I saw in the stuff I had saved, so that ended up being a major element of ours.

Jennifer Wang said...

kwu, love all this blogging that i'm catching up on (slowly). i want to give a squeal about a new discovery: mountain lakes house is where my cousin june (ning ning) and her husband kent got married back in '03! i nonchalantly clicked on the link to the venue and thought... that place looks really familiar! then checked my pictures, and indeed, it's a match. that place was awesome!

Post a Comment